Purchasing a gently used lawn mower is going to be more affordable than purchasing a new one of similar quality. Nevertheless, buying a used one would save you a significant amount of money.
To make a second-hand purchase, you must consider the following:
Find used Riding Lawn Mowers for Sale Under $500 Sale by Owner
- 1 Find used Riding Lawn Mowers for Sale Under $500 Sale by Owner
- 2 The Best Way to Avoid Buying a Bad Used Lawn Mower
- 3 Things to consider when looking for a used Riding Lawn Mowers for Sale Under $500
- 4 Advantages and Disadvantages of buying a used Raiding Lawn mowers (sale by owner)
- 5 Where to Buy Used Riding Lawn Mowers from?
- 6 5 Used Raiding Lawn Mower under $500 to Buy
- 6.1 1. Kubota T1400 riding lawn mower
- 6.2 Specifications
- 6.3 Pros
- 6.4 Cons
- 6.5 Verdict
- 6.6 2. John Deere gt235
- 6.7 Specifications
- 6.8 Pros
- 6.9 Cons
- 6.10 Verdict
- 6.11 3. Craftsman DLT 3000
- 6.12 Specifications
- 6.13 Pros
- 6.14 Cons
- 6.15 Verdict
- 6.16 4. 17.5HP B&S Engine CE Riding lawn mower
- 6.17 Specifications
- 6.18 Pros
- 6.19 Cons
- 6.20 Verdict
- 6.21 5. 30 Inch Ride lawn Mower and Tractors
- 6.22 Specifications
- 6.23 Pros
- 6.24 Cons
- 6.25 Verdict
Is it effective? How is the condition of the mower? What is the new price of the same item? Approximately how old is it? Is there enough time to fix it, and is the material still available? Does it need to be repaired, and what will the cost be?
The Best Way to Avoid Buying a Bad Used Lawn Mower
The average homeowner is probably hesitant about buying a used lawnmower since they fear it will be a worn-out or useless piece of equipment. The possibility of this happening can be avoided. If you want to buy a high-quality used mower that can last for years, you need to spend more time on the shopping process than you would on buying a new mower. But it is always possible to end up with an inferior piece of equipment when you buy anything used.
Lawn mowers can be found in many different sizes and shapes and for different price points. Choosing the right mower for your property depends on its size, your strength and physical condition, and the purposes you are trying to achieve.
The best way to avoid buying a badly used lawn mower are-
- The best way to assess a used mower is to see it in person and to have the time and access to inspect it closely and try it out. It is important to consider this whether you are planning on getting an electric or push mower, a riding mower, a gas mower, or a hybrid model.
- Make sure you listen to the mower as it runs and try to cut some grass when you test it out (you should do this prior to buying the mower). Take a look at how it performs its duties. Always make sure that blades on lawn mowers are sharp enough so that grass will be cut in the first pass.
- Don’t push yourself into making an immediate decision. It is possible that there is something wrong with the mower if the seller seems rushed to sell it. It is possible that an unusually long period of time has passed since the property has been up for sale. This only proves that the machine is not worthy of buying.
Things to consider when looking for a used Riding Lawn Mowers for Sale Under $500
Having a long-lasting lawn mower isn’t always necessary; however, during gardening season, it’s unavoidable. So, you may not suddenly gather the money to buy a brand new lawn mower. That is when you can go for a used lawn mower. If you are looking for an affordable one of good quality, you can look for used Lawn Mowers under $500.
Following this, you should consider before buying a used mower.
Whether the mower is price worthy
Price is obviously the first thing anyone notices before buying something. Nobody would buy used stuff if it wasn’t for the prices. But even though used mowers come at a cheap price, make sure to compare new and used mowers side by side, which will allow you to set realistic expectations for the second-hand mowers you’re considering buying. One should pay at least 60% off retail on a two or three-year-old mower, and only if it’s in good condition.
A new lawn mower is available at a variety of price points. A self-propelled, gas-powered, walk-behind mower with special features is not uncommon to cost several thousand dollars, while riding mowers can start at about $500 and go up from there. Consider what you are looking for in a mower. Make a list of features and options.It is easier to decide whether a used mower is a good purchase if you know what features and prices you need.
Availability of the engine
If the second-hand mower you buy needs fixing, you will still be able to find parts if you choose a popular, name-brand engine. Typically, you should select Kawasaki, Honda, and Briggs & Stratton, which are also found on the most common lawn mowers in commercial applications.
A mower needs to be maintained regularly in order to remain in good working order. Make sure if the seller has maintained the lawn mower properly. You can know about the maintenance history by checking the list given below-
- Starting the mower every time by checking the oil.
- Maintaining clean air filters after each mowing.
- Each year an oil change and new spark plugs are added to an air filter replaced as well as blade sharpening.
If your seller confirms that he/she has done these three things properly then, you can buy the lawn mower from the seller
Make sure you ask the seller if any paperwork is attached to the mower if you’re buying from an individual. Verifying the age of a used mower can be done by using the original purchasing receipt. You can find out whether the mower was serviced and how often it was serviced in maintenance records.
Before you buy a used name-brand lawn mower with an engine, you can still find replacement parts for, and that is well-maintained – once you have found a likely candidate.
If you follow the given tips to buy a second-hand or gently used lawn mower, just with a little servicing, your lawn mower will be good to go.
Advantages and Disadvantages of buying a used Raiding Lawn mowers (sale by owner)
There are pros and cons to everything, including buying a used lawn mower. The advantage includes being less pricey, and the disadvantages might include being a little faulty.
- With a used lawnmower, you can get a bigger, more powerful mower for a much lower price.
- The former owner can provide you with firsthand information about its performance.
- The advantages of this approach are that you do not have to rely on manufacturer assurances and product descriptions.
- You get the freedom of inspecting a lawn mower more carefully than you can inspect while buying a brand new one.
- If you find a fault in the lawn mower, the seller might just repair that before selling it to you.
- In many cases, previous owners improperly use the lawnmower and cause damage, and do not communicate that fact to the new owner. Also, the owner may have used the lawnmower longer or more frequently rather than communicating.
- You might end up with a lawn mower that is working well but has a part that is close to wearing out and will need to be replaced if you don’t check the parts. A used lawnmower will be necessary if the part cannot be replaced. You may be able to replace parts, but the cost may negate any savings you might have gained from buying a pre-owned mower.
- The warranties and guarantees attached to most new models do not apply to used models. The mower might be cheaper when you purchase it, but then you would have to worry about it needing repair or replacement very soon after your purchase.
- Additionally, if you do not thoroughly inspect and test the used mower before buying it, buying it online may be very risky.
The seller’s honesty or dishonesty will play a huge role in determining whether this is an advantage or a disadvantage. The importance of research in this regard cannot be overstated. Before you make a purchase, do your research on the seller.
Where to Buy Used Riding Lawn Mowers from?
We have already talked about why people would buy a used or second-hand lawn mower. Now, let us tell you where you can find one. A new lawnmower will be available anywhere. But a used lawn mower can be really hard to find.
You can find most of the used lawn mowers on online platforms. This platform has become larger than any other shop as it enables you to look through more products than in regular mower shops. Also, you can recheck if you are spending your money on the right thing.
Some of the online platforms for buying used lawn mowers are-
Online platforms such as Amazon allow you to browse plenty of new products and used products. Hence, there are no exceptions when it comes to a used lawnmower. A lawnmower can be purchased here based on its features, types, and of course, price.
The industry of used product selling has benefited greatly from eBay in recent years. Here the manufacturer or seller as well as the consumer benefit from the platform. eBay is the platform that you have to check out if you’re looking for a used lawnmower. Choose the affordable lawn mower that’s right for you by scrolling the products pages. You can get your mower at a convenient time and price by choosing the nearest one.
The Facebook marketplace has evolved over the past few years into a contemporary retail outlet. Searching Facebook will let you find the owners of the lawnmowers you want. It is possible to look for the right product by filtering out the products by your locality and other requirements.
Rent Lawn Mower
Like, ‘Rent a Car,’ there are a lot of agencies and companies which lend you their mowers for temporary use. In this way, not only will your purpose be served, but also you can serve it at a very cheaper rate than buying.
Local dealers refer to the sellers who live in a close radius near you, for example, within the 30 miles radius. This gives you the advantage of visiting the lawnmower in person and checking if it is all right. By browsing the manufacturer’s website, you can easily locate your local dealer.
Apart from these options, you can also search for used lawn mowers for sale by owner near me to find any available seller near your location.
5 Used Raiding Lawn Mower under $500 to Buy
Lawn mowers are not cheap. They are huge machines, and they are usually quite expensive even after being used. It is quite hard to find cheap or lawn mowers which are under $500. Yet, there are some sellers who are willing to sell their lawn mowers for under $500 because of the high demands of the mowers. Usually, the people who are unable to afford a brand new mower or the people who don’t want to spend huge money on a machine used once a year would look for a used mower at a reasonable price.
So, here is a list of 5 types of lawn mowers under $500 that are commonly available to buy.
1. Kubota T1400 riding lawn mower
T series lawn and garden tractors include the T1400 Kubota tractor. There are no reverse or forward gears on the Kubota T1400’s motor. This machine has a single-cylinder 0.4-liter gasoline engine and a belt-driven hydrostatic transmission with infinite forward and reverses speeds.
Its engine was a Kubota GH400. With an internal combustion engine displacement of 0.4 L, 389 cm2, (23.7 cu*in), its cylinder bore is 84.2 mm (3.31 in), and the piston stroke is 70.0 mm (2.76 in). The power output for this engine was 13.7 PS. In addition to manual steering and an open operator station, the Kubota T1400 has an 8.3-liter fuel tank.
Height: 1,030 mm
Wheelbase: 1,190 mm
Fuel tank capacity: 8.3 liters
Steering type: Manual
Engine Type: Four-stroke, air-cooled, inline
Fuel type: Gasoline
Material: Alloy Steel
Weight: 230 kg
- Electric start makes the starting fast and smooth
- Manual Steering keeps the control on the user’s hand so less risk of accidents
- The seat of the mower does not have any handle
- It is quite heavy
If you are looking for a raiding lawn mower that has both electric and manual features, then the Kubota T1400 riding lawn mower can be a perfect choice for you at a reasonable price.
2. John Deere gt235
A twin-cylinder gasoline engine from Kawasaki or a twin-cylinder gasoline engine from Briggs & Stratton, coupled with the hydrostatic transmission with an infinite forward and reverse gear ratio, is the power source for the John Deere GT235 garden tractor.
Type: Garden tractor
Brakes: wet disc
Steering: manual sector and pinion
Front tire: 16×6.5-8
Rear tire: 23×10.5-12
Weight: 258 kg
- Durable, strong engine
- Smooth mowing
- Difficult to clean while snowing.
Many people look for a double engined lawn mower for extra or backups. If you are among them, John Deere GT 235 can be an excellent choice.
3. Craftsman DLT 3000
An example of a Lawn Tractor with a Briggs & Stratton is the Craftsman DLT 3000. A sturdy engine and a cooling system make it a great choice. This engine is capable of producing 22 kW (16.4 HP) of power. There are endless forward and reverse gears on this lawn tractor, as well as a hydrostatic transmission.
Engine size: 656 cc
Number of cylinders: 2
Number of batteries: 1
Starter Motor: Electric
Battery voltage: 12 V
Wheel drive: 4×2 2WD
Steering system: manual
- Very sturdy
- Cheap maintenance
- Easy starting
- Easy access to engine and other parts
- The seat is not big enough especially for an obese person
- hard to attach discharge tube
If you’re looking for a mower that is sturdy and low maintenance, then Craftsman DLT 3000 is the perfect choice for you. But we would not recommend it if you think you’re a bit obese for the seat. That would not be comfortable.
4. 17.5HP B&S Engine CE Riding lawn mower
It is an auto control lawn mower. You do not have to ride on it to clear your lawn. You can control it through your smartphone and select areas you want it to cut grass from. It has a steel body which is very sturdy. It includes a grass box to store the grass so that your lawn stays clean while cutting. It is totally self-propelled. Its forced air cooling feature controls its temperature and avoids accidents. It has a folding handle which you can keep folded when you are not using it and keep it compact. The price range starts from 270$.
Type: Robotic Mowers
Material: Steel Chassis,
Moving Way: Rear Push
Cutting Width: 18cm
Cutting Speed: 35m/Min
Blades Rotate Speed: 3200 rpm
Cutter Type: Rotary Lawn Mower
Applicable Area: 1000-5000m²
Average Working Time: 1hour
weight : 11kgs
- Self propelled
- Forced air cooling
- Grass box
- Less noisy
- It cannot function without other smart devices
If you are looking to get an automatic riding lawn mower without doing the hard work yourself, a robot lawn mower can be the perfect choice for you within your budget.
5. 30 Inch Ride lawn Mower and Tractors
30 Inch Ride lawn Mower and Tractors are small and compact mowers. The used ones are available on Alibabba.com, so you can order them online. It is super cheap as the price range starts from $25.65 only. It can be customized as you want. It does make a loud noise while working but serves the purpose.
Equipped with a powerful and quiet Locin 15hp 432cc engine, this is a compact CHANGJIANG lawn mower, ride-on lawn mower, and tractor. With the engine positioned centrally, the cockpit offers an unobstructed view with a comfortable step-through platform allowing for adequate legroom and easy access. You can cut smooth along the edges by using the extremely tight turning radius, which eliminates the need for trimming. A tool-free leveling system from CHANGJIANG makes it easy to level the cutting board quickly and efficiently. It can hold 176 liters of grass in its optional rear bag. Aside from the side discharge, the mulcher can easily be converted to a side discharge rider.
Cutting height: 20-90mm/7 position
Cutting Width: 760mm
Fuel Capacity: 4.2L
Displacement and Power; 432cc,15.0HP
Drive Type: Mechanical
- Available in extremely cheap price
- Trustworthy selling page online
- In a good running condition
- It is very loud while mowing
- Many features are absent
Whoever needs a mower just to get your work done at a very reasonable price, should definitely go for it.