One of the most important parts of a lawnmower is the drive belt. When it loosens or fails, it doesn’t work well. Sometimes it won’t move an inch.
Compliance with your agreement for warranty coverage is an important thing to consider. This includes Drive belts, checking the tires, lubricating the mower, and sharpening the blades.
The drive belt adheres to the transaxle pulley at the rear of the Craftsman lawn mower. Belts may be loosened from improper placement or use. There is an important thing that it doesn’t have manual adjusters for drive belts; it needs to be changed or tightened when they will be loosened.
When the drive belt on a craftsman lawn mower wears, it begins and loosens to slip. In time the drive belt won’t rotate.
Another important thing is that the drive belts on a craftsman lawn mower are designed as not adjustable, which needs to change.
Don’t worry. We will guide you on how to tighten or remove and reinstall the drive belt on a Craftsman lawnmower. Keep reading till the end.
Signs your mower needs a drive belt to tighten or replacement
- 1 Signs your mower needs a drive belt to tighten or replacement
- 2 Step by Step Guide: How to tighten or replace a drive belt
- 3 Conclusion
Firstly, you have to know when the drive belt becomes damaged, or it doesn’t work, and whether the drive belt is fit to mow or not. We will show you some signs or symptoms which make you sure to tighten or replace the drive belt.
- Loosens up: Does your craftsman lawn mower stop in half or the beginning of mowing? Perhaps it means the drive belt is loosened. It doesn’t have enough power to stay performing continuously. So, it loosens up half the operation.
- Slows down: Perhaps the most normal and common issue with an inoperative drive belt is that the lawn mower slows down out of nowhere. This makes it harder and more boring to mow a lawn.
- Grumble: There’s no more clear signal of an inoperative drive belt than an engine that grumbles too much. Loud noise can do it impossible to use the lawnmower without earbuds.
If you are facing the following symptoms, then our guide will help you to solve your problem. So, let’s start a step-by-step guide on how to tighten or replace a drive belt on a Craftsman lawnmower.
Step by Step Guide: How to tighten or replace a drive belt
Now you are known for all symptoms. If you possess a craftsman lawnmower and its drive belt seems to be failed, then you must have replaced it because the craftsman designed its lawnmower, which drives the belt, won’t adjust.
Hopefully, you are in the right place because we have the best and perfect guide for you.
Things to consider
- Time: You should manage 25-45 minutes to do it. If you are not experienced, then it will take more than 10 minutes.
- Owners Manual: You have to read out the owner’s manual of the lawnmower prior to starting.
- Protection: You have to wear protective equipment to prevent any risk or damage.
- Assistance: If you feel alone, like doing is too difficult, then call another person to get help or assistance.
Tools you must need
- A screwdriver
- A socket range
- A wooden black(Optional)
- A lifting jack
- A hard-wire cleaning brush
- A new drive belt
- A plastic sheet or trash bag
- A pair of work gloves
Look for the perfect area
First, you have to choose the perfect area to do it. A flat and spacious area is perfect for doing so. Our guide recommends a driveway or garage for the best experience.
Another important thing is to be sure the plastic sheet covers the floor of the place to prevent anything that exudes or drops from the lawnmower from causing loss.
Ready the mower
Here are some tips to ready the mower:
- If the riding lawn mower comes with a parking brake, activate it
- Turn the engine switch off
- Disconnect the power cable from the battery
- Run by taking the fuel tank cover off
Now you have done peremptory necessity. It’s time to do the gist part.
Remove the Blades and Deck
Remove the deck and blade is critical when you want to access the drive belt.
Start by shortening the mower deck to the lowest position. Then intercept the cutting blades. You may just press the rear handle until the front wheel takes up the standard mower.
You will have the blade and deck removed from the lawnmower. Now you can tighten or replace it easily.
Clean and clear the deck
Prior to proceeding with the tightening of the drive belt, you have to clean and clear the shaft and main part of the engine with dirt and ruins.
Use a wire brush to do so carefully. A wire brush makes your cleaning smoother.
Remove Old Drive Belt
Remove the drive belt from the mower deck by unwinding it from both pulleys.
Install New Drive Belt or Tighten
- Jog the belt keepers on the transaxle pulley down and slip the belt up.
- Push/ jog the belt keepers on the transaxle pulley down and slip the drive belt over the transaxle pulley.
- Be sure the V-side of the belt must be facing both pulleys.
- Ensure the drive belt is inside all drive belt guides.
- Hold the drive belt and noose it on the transaxle pulley.
- Now you can set the socket range on the flywheel. Turn or move it clockwise and assure the drive belt on its position.
Now your drive belt is ready for starting. Let’s check it.
Review and Test
Check before finalizing whether some of your work isn’t done yet, or any screws are residue to reinstall. Set blade cover before testing.
We recommend that you test your mower on a lawn because it is your main ground to mow.
Be sure that whether the drive belt is doing well or not. If the answer is negative, then identify the gist problem and reopen the drive belt.
Finally, you have done it.
Related Article: How to put a belt on a Murray riding lawn mower diagram?
Anything which you know nothing about is always difficult for you. But if you know something, your task will be easier.
We think that our guide assists you to do your job(how to tighten the drive belt) easier and perfectly.
Now you’re aware of this subject matter, and you can reduce time-lapse to do so.
Luckily, you were the best guide. Thanks for keeping with us.